Tuesday, July 27, 2010

LLWWC#49 - Shake It!


It's time for another La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge! I'm so excited to be hosting this week and I've chosen to challenge you all to make a shaker card! When I first started stamping many years ago, it was because I saw a guest on the Carol Duvall show make a shaker card! I ran out right away and bought a bunch of supplies (including a heat gun and embossing powder!) to make my own shaker card. It was pretty ambitious for a first project and came out pretty terrible, but it started me stamping so I'm glad I did it! Since then I've made a bunch of shaker cards and they're much easier to do than that first one!

In case you've never made a shaker card before, here's a great tutorial on how to make one. I actually make mine just a little differently, so I'll explain that below. For now, here's the card I made:

LalaPrincess2a
I used Princess Lala and my Cricut (I had to dust it off before using it!). I wanted the Lacy Labels cartridge as soon as I saw it and hubby was so sweet to get it for me!

When I make shaker cards, I use foam craft sheets for the innards instead of foam tape (or the hideous foam core board that I used for my very first one - SO hard to cut!!). I use 2 layers of the thin kind, but you could also use the thick kind. Or even just 1 layer of the thin stuff if your shaker contents will fit. Here's a picture of all the parts I used (minus the beads):

LalaPrincess2b
Lala was colored with Copics, and I airbrushed the edges of the circle with my Copic system so it wouldn't be so stark white. I also colored the edges of the foam layers with a Copic so it would match the purple card base. I even cut the foam with my Cricut using the deep cut blade and housing! The rollers smushed lines into the foam when it cut, but after sitting around for a while, the foam puffed back up to normal! Finally I just glued the parts together and added some beads for the shaker part.

This card is also for Charisma Cardz - Anything but Square, and Stamp Something - Something Flowery.

Before I go, I want to let you know that whatever image the hostess uses on her project is 20% off for the week of the challenge, so of course this week it's Princess Lala!

We'd love to have you play along with us! All the details can be found on the La-La Land Crafts blog. TFL!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Maureen!! THis is sooo beautiful. I just love your nestie shapes and that floral vine is divine!! Princess LaLa looks perfect in there =) Great challenge. I loved seeing the variety of cards between the DT this week! I will definately be making more of these! =D Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [28 Jul 12:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maureen! Thanks for a great challenge this week! I have never made a shaker card before, but now I can tell I will be making lots more ;D

    Your shaker card is fabulous and I love that you gave us such great instructions on creating it. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous Maureen! Luv the unique shape of your card and that framing is gorgeous! Awesome challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Maureen! Love the texture to her hair - amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!