Tuesday, July 13, 2010

La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge #47


It's time for another La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge! This week our theme was chosen by 1LuvnMama and is "Black and White +1," meaning only 1 color of your choice. I was pretty stumped for ideas for a while, then I thought to try a Twilight inspired card (since I've seen so many awesome ones in blogland and just saw Eclipse recently!). I took inspiration from the cover of the book:



And here's my card:

LalaPumpkin3
La-La Land doesn't really have any Bella-ish images, so I just picked the one I thought was the closest - Pumpkin Lala (which is one of the few Lalas not wearing a dress).

Since I wanted her to have an apple and had to cover up the pumpkin in her lap, Lala got the world's biggest apple! lol! I just traced the pumpkin shape onto some scrap paper and modified it ever so slightly to look more like an apple. Then I used that as a pattern to cut the shape out of red cardstock. I added a white colored pencil highlight and then covered the whole thing in clear dimensional adhesive for shine.

Since the skin tones on the book cover are brownish grays, I colored Lala with the warm Gray Copics. She was then cut out and mounted on foam boosters. I cut a slit above her legs to put the apple in over the pumpkin.

For the white heart, I stamped repeatedly with a swirl from There She Goes, and then sponged a mixture of black and linen distress inks (to get a warm gray color) on the edges and also roughed it up a bit with my scissors. I dyed the seam binding with a similar mixture of distress inks and scrunched it up until dry. I put together a bunch of stuff from my stash to make the beaded head pins and poked them through the seam binding to hold them in place.

Finally, I printed a sentiment using the Twilight font (which is actually called Zephyr), cut it into a flag and glued on a tiny red heart rhinestone. I hope you like it!

This card is also for: Before I go, I want to let you know that whatever image the hostess uses on her project is 20% off for the week of the challenge, and this week it's Bubble Lala!

We'd love to have you play along with us! All the details can be found on the La-La Land Crafts blog. TFL!

12 comments:

  1. This is truly stunning, Maureen! I LOVE Twilight and you totally captured the true feel of it. AWESOME!

    I just wanted to also say I've moved on but will be stopping by to get inspiration from you. It's been so much fun being on the same DT. Keep in touch, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, you've totally captured that Twilight bookcover! So clever! I love your alterations to Lala giving her an apple instead of the pumpkin. Plus, your coloring is fab, as always ;D Such an awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be still my heart...THIS IS AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I don't even know what do say to this. It's perfect!!! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing card, and love all the details. WOW... I am a big fan of Twilight, so this was so awesome to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you've done with La La and her apple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowie Maureen!
    I luv how you incorporated the Twilight theme into the challenge! :) I would've never thought of it. Your card is amazing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute cute! Nice job on this black/white+1 challenge *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh very pretty and very ingenius what you did with that apple. Thanks for joining us dolls this week at TBD challenge! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a fantastic card. Thank you for joining the Allsorts challenge this week and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have captured the image beautifully...


    Thanks for playing the summer love challenge at Allsorts

    Emma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOWWWWW Maureen this is breathtaking what a beautiful card the shape, that image oh my I love this so much,

    Hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!